Friday, August 20, 2010

Decateur's Weekly Business Roundup

Ok, man, it's been a while.  Whatever...

For all those out there, the numbers have been pretty grim as of late.  I think the stock market has been down, and I'm pretty sure that consumer spending has been lack-luster as well.  What does this mean?  Well, it depends on how you look at it.  If stocks are down, try your luck in the bond market.  If consumer spending is no better than it was six months ago - well, if you're savvy, make the transition to long-term growth!  Guys ...this has '80s written all over it.

What is always disappointing is when people come up to me and say: "Decateur, are we ever going to get out of this lending haze?"  Or... "Decateur, are you ever going to mow my lawn?"

To them I say: "Just relax.  I'll get to it when I get to it.  It's been way hot and my mower is still all caked up with Mrs. Pelkey's grass from two weeks ago."  Also, I've got plenty of other problems.  Somebody went in and cornered the iron ore market in WOW and I can't find any good smelting opportunities for my pay-dirt steel.  And where is Twigglymcgee!?  (You know who you are...)

I heard Cory Doctorow has a new book out - For the Win - about mining in online gaming.  If I get any time to read (...which is highly improbably, due to all the time I spend writing my weekly business roundups for the FSRI), I think I might download his book to my mom's new Kindle.  'Course, I'll have to ask her if I can borrow it.  But whatever...

For the Hoard.
Decateur

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cory Doctorow, he makes airplanes, right?

Anonymous said...

Decatur, you are very wise - I agree about a lot of what you are saying in that I'm finding all that we face to be so much retrograde as to be almost turning back on itself as though we're looking right in the mirror and the mirror is also the past, but in a really weird way that is hard to explain because basically it has everything to do with what you're saying, without it being there at all, of course. So, yeah, free books online is a good idea. (Don't share this comment with fascists.) By the way, we're naming our kid Zenith or Quasar.

Decateur said...

Chet Holmes, I don't know who you are, but I'd be a part of your raiding party any day.

Decateur said...

And no, "anonymous", Cory Doctorow does not make planes...